School prom is an event that students around Britain look forward to and enjoy, but planning the event can be a lot of hard work for the student team, many of whom may not have much experience of what a prom looks like as a final result. For many, prom is the first formal party they have attended, and offers a great opportunity to enjoy the company of their classmates in an out of school setting. Generally, prom is held during the summer months and is a celebration of the end of the school year and the academic achievements they have made in the course of the year.
What happens at each prom varies depending on how long the student team has to plan and the budget available for the event. Most often a prom consists of a sit down dinner with three courses, followed by a dance with a DJ or band. Many students will then leave the event to go to an after-party where they can let loose without the more formal aspects of the prom.
In order to plan a prom in Tunbridge Wells that will work for all the students attending it is important to consider your budget and how to create the best event possible without going over the budget. Consider how much each student should pay for the event, including their meal, the function room and the music (some proms will hire a band or DJ for the event) and look for venues that would be within that bracket. There are lots of ways to cut down on extra costs, such as creating DIY decorations in your art class or asking a school band made up of students to perform rather than hiring a band.
One of the best ways to conserve your budget is by asking your teachers which venues the school has used before for their prom. The ones listed will likely be within your price range, as well as having previous experience as the venue for a school prom.
The venue you select to host your prom can have a huge impact on what your prom looks like. The function room will act as the centre of the event with a variety of options available at most venue locations.
- Menu – Our incredible sister restaurant STEAK provides a range of meals perfect for a school prom. If you are interested in pursuing our menu the please follow the link here. If you are interested in a venue for your prom celebration, having a look at what the venue has in terms of an events menu can help as a deciding factor. If any of the students attending have a specific diet or allergy, liaising with the chef before the event will ensure everyone can enjoy the prom.
- Drinks – Most prom events are held for students who are under the age at which they can legally drink alcohol. However, many venues will serve a range of soft drinks and mocktails that will be perfect for the event. Having water available for the party goers is also important, especially if they are enjoying a dance.
- Entertainment – While many prom events have a DJ or band booked for the event, in order to save on your budget asking a student to create a playlist for the music at the event, or a student band to perform, can be a lot of fun as well.
- Function room – Often venues have a minimum and maximum head count for booking a function room; asking what their capacity is when you first get in contact with the venue is a good way to ensure that you are spending your time visiting each venue effectively.
Most students will be arranging lifts home and other transportation options themselves without the organisers’ input. However, sending out the address of the venue to all those attending, along with local transport options such as local train stations or taxi ranks, for those that might have difficulty getting there, can help give students good ideas.
Here at One Warwick Park Hotel we are situated close to the Pantiles, allowing for a quick journey to the train station or the Tunbridge Wells taxi ranks. We also have an area set aside for parking, where parents or taxis can arrive and pick up students to head home.
If you are planning a prom, adding a theme can add an extra element of fun to your event. Whether it is creating décor, or asking the other students to come in themed costume adding a theme can create a less formal and more high spirited atmosphere.
- Ocean theme – An ocean theme can be a lot of fun – making homemade decorations with the art class, or simply using blue décor accents and table pieces to create an undersea look to your function room. This theme is a classic for a reason, with the theme easy to execute without too much extra planning.
- Garden theme – With beautiful plants and archways placed around the function room, a garden theme can create a magical scene. Creating a fairy-tale atmosphere can be a lot of fun for more artistically inclined students.
- Disco theme – With bright colours and lots of glitter, a disco theme is fantastic fun with many playlists of iconic disco songs to keep the mood light. With a disco ball and bright psychedelic colours used in the décor, this theme can help you to create an unforgettable night.
Ask for Help
While planning the prom is often a duty given to students – and can be an enjoyable project to learn from – remember that your teachers and the staff of your selected venue will be pleased to help if you have any questions and will be happy to discuss any issues you may be facing. The staff of the venue will probably have catered for other prom events, and will be able to offer you advice and can let you know what the venue provides for their guests.
Teachers and parents will often be all too happy to help in regard to transport for students, helping to decorate your venue or acting as supervisors while the event is ongoing. Bringing in more helpers can keep things organised and ensure that the event goes smoothly.
Here at One Warwick Park we offer a range of function rooms and services that can create a fantastic prom night. If you are interested in contacting us as a prom venue, then please contact us here.